- 500g carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 tspn ground ginger
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or salt reduced chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal couscous
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped or plain unsweetened yoghurt (to garnish)
Step 1. Dry fry onion and garlic in a large saucepan, until slightly soft. (Keep food moving to prevent from sticking to pan)
Step 2. Add spices and cook for 30 seconds, taking care not to burn.
Step 3. Add stock and bring to the boil. Add carrot.
Step 4. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, until carrots are soft.
Step 5. While carrots are cooking, prepare couscous as per packet instructions. Leave to stand.
Step 6. Puree carrot and stock mixture in a food processor or blender.
Step 7. Return to saucepan. Mix in couscous and season with freshly ground black pepper.
Step 8. Serve garnished with parsley or a little yoghurt.